There have already been 29 days this summer where the temperature has been over 30 degrees Celsius. That means there have been at least 29 days where people in Toronto, York Region and the rest of the GTA have had to find refuge and ways to beat the heat. Air conditioning is the best way, but there are lots of other ways to beat the heat as well.
Here’s How You Beat The Heat
- Drink water, even before you’re thirsty, and even on days that aren’t aggressively hot.
- Find air-conditioned places to hang out like the mall, movie theatre, library or community centre.
- Wear clothing that is nice and loose and breathes. A large hat to keep the sun off your head is also ideal.
- Avoid being in direct sunlight for too long or just bring an umbrella with you when you go out.
- Plan your outdoor activities for the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the hottest parts of the day.
- Take cold showers and use wet cloths to keep your body temperature down and to stay cool.
- Drive with your air conditioner on or the windows down. Don’t ever sit in an enclosed vehicle or leave any person or pet in one either.
- Find a pool, whether it’s a friend’s pool or a public pool.
- Close your blinds and drapes during the day so the sun doesn’t heat up the air in your home.
- Don’t use the oven or the stove to cook, use the BBQ instead on really hot days.
- Unplug as many electronic as you can, these devices give off heat.
- Use fans wherever you can, especially when sleeping for added comfort.
- Put a bowl of ice in front a fan for an extra cooling effect.
Be Careful, The Heat Can Get To You
Hot days can be overwhelming, even if you are taking measures to beat the heat. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Dizziness or feeling faint
- Nauseous feelings or vomiting
- Quick breathing and a fast heartbeat while resting
- Being incredibly thirsty
If you have any of these symptoms during a hot day find a cool place to sit down and drink some water. If you feel worse or your symptoms don’t dissipate see your doctor or call 911. Extreme heat can cause several medical issues.
Overall, use your air conditioner during extreme heat to stay cool and safe. If you need air conditioner repair, maintenance or installation services contact Novel Care Toronto today: 905-737-5016.
Novel Care Toronto has been serving Toronto, York Region and the GTA for over 30 years.