As the leaves start to change and temperatures drop, our thoughts turn to the winter season that’s on its way. In Toronto, that means you need to make sure that your furnace is ready to go to work for a hard 6 or 7 month run. This means performing gas furnace maintenance yourself, as well as scheduling an experienced professional from a reputable company like Air Tech Toronto to perform proper maintenance.
Whether you live in Toronto, York Region, or somewhere else in the GTA, here are the things every homeowner should be doing to make sure their furnace won’t break down on the coldest night of the year. If you want to avoid emergency repair costs, possible frozen pipes and a lot of discomfort, just follow these easy steps.
- Make sure your furnace area is clear of stored belongings: Most of the things we store in our basements are a fire safety hazard. By storing items too close to your furnace, you’re risking a fire. Part of proper gas furnace maintenance is ensuring that the area around your furnace stays clear all year round.
- Replace your furnace filter: Part of proper gas furnace maintenance is replacing your furnace filter. It’s designed to protect your furnace from getting clogged with hair, dust, and other debris, but once it gets clogged your furnace has to work harder to pull air in. For the 1-inch pleated filters, most filter manufacturers recommend checking the filter monthly while the furnace is in use, and replacing it every 3 months at the most. If you have a more intensive filtration system or air cleaner, rely on the guidance of a professional furnace technician from a reputable company like Air Tech Toronto.
- Check the exhaust vent and fresh air intake: Vents like these outside your home need to be kept free of yard litter, plant overgrowth or animal nests. The vents should be able to open freely to suck in fresh air and expel contaminated air.
- Open all of your indoor air vents: Make sure that none are blocked by furniture or carpets, and that the vent covers are free of dust. This not only helps your gas furnace move air throughout your home, but it will improve the overall air quality in your house.
- Remove all vent covers and inspect your vents: If they appear dusty, consider booking professional duct cleaning appointment with a knowledgeable and experienced company like Air Tech Toronto. If they show any signs of mold, you should definitely consult with a gas furnace maintenance expert. Mold can be extremely hazardous to your health and lead to a plethora of respiratory issues.
- Do a test run: Turn your furnace on before the first really cold day of the year. If it won’t fire up or it’s making lots of noise then it’s the perfect time to schedule a gas furnace maintenance appointment.
- Check your thermostat settings for maximum efficiency: Set the temperature to go down when you’re away from home and overnight while you’re asleep. Remember, lower temperatures will save you money. For every degree you reduce your overall temperature, you can reduce your heating costs by 3% to 5%.
- Check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors: If your CO (carbon monoxide) detector is more than 5 years old, replace it to ensure the safety of you and your family. Carbon Monoxide detectors are very inexpensive and are available at most hardware stores. While odorless and colourless, CO is highly toxic and a buildup in your home could be fatal.
Most importantly, book a professional heating technician to check and clean your furnace. This will help make sure there are no problems, and will help your furnace run at peak efficiency. That means you’ll be reducing the cost to heat your home all winter long. You can learn more about what’s included in an Air Tech Toronto furnace servicing appointment here.
Gas Furnace Maintenance Essentials
• Dirty filters make your furnace work harder.
• Small problems with furnace parts can make other parts work harder, increasing the wear and tear on your system. This reduces the working life of your furnace and makes a breakdown more likely. Regular gas furnace maintenance is one of the best things you can do for your home’s HVAC system.
Request a Free Quote for Gas Furnace Maintenance from Air Tech Toronto