Summer is just around the corner. It may not feel like it since snow seems to be on every corner these days, but it’ll come faster than you think. When the nice weather is here we all want nothing more than to soak it all up, but that also means we want our homes to be a cool refuge for us at the end of the day. Not a problem since you’ve got an air conditioner, but while you’re at it you might as well save on air conditioning this summer. It’s much easier than you think. Here are some tips.
Save On Air Conditioning: Stay Cool On Your Own
We all know at least one heat wave will barrel through Toronto and the GTA each summer, so ensure that your air conditioner is ready for it. It’s important for the health of your family. Keep yourself and your family cool and you won’t have to run your system as much to save on air conditioning. Here are some ways to keep cool:
- Avoid strenuous outdoor work, and if you do need to work outside take plenty of breaks and make sure someone is there with you. They can see how the heat affects you just as well as you can feel it affecting you.
- Listen to your body, and learn to take rests every now and then if needed.
- Wear light clothing in light colors, as this reflects the sun’s rays, so you won’t burn up and be able to take advantage of any cool breeze.
- Always drink plenty of water while your working and even when you’re not. Avoid alcohol and caffeine as it dehydrates you, which makes you hotter. This also increase your risk of passing out, heat stroke and other ailments.
Save On Air Conditioning By Giving It A Break
Your air conditioner is a machine, which means it needs a break from time to time. The alternative is that it will experience more wear and tear than it was made to handle at a time and can break down. Here are some tips to save on air conditioning simply by turning off your air conditioner.
- At night, you can often turn off the AC and open up some windows. It’s simple, the sun goes down and so does the temperatures. Many people also find that the cool night air helps them sleep better.
- When it’s daytime close your blinds and shades. This will keep the sun and the heat out and allow you to keep your air conditioner off for longer periods at a time.
- Try to limit your usage of the oven, dryer, washing machine and other appliances that emit a lot of heat. If you can schedule your day so they get used when the temperature drops in the evening you will notice that your home will be much cooler.
- If you are simply running your air conditioner because you’re at home working on a computer or reading, try going to a library. They’re air conditioned and quiet as well, so you won’t have to run your air conditioning unit all day.
- Go to the local public pool for a swim instead of sitting in your air conditioned house. You’ll not only cool down, but thank yourself for the exercise.
- Use fans to help distribute cool air throughout the home.
Stay tuned for more ways to save on air conditioning in part two of this useful blog series.
If you’ve read enough and want to make an air conditioning maintenance or installation appointment call Air Tech Toronto Toronto today: 905-737-5016.